Destiny

Ideas, discussions about all topics - no matter how brilliant or stupid they are. Place for hobby-psychatrists, hobby-architects, hobby-scientists, hobby-whatever...
^rooker
Site Admin

Destiny

Post by ^rooker »

Here's my 2 cents about the theory of "destiny":

First of all:
  • - Let's assume that some thing like destiny exists, and that things happen for a reason. This would mean that if things are "supposed to be or to happen", there must be some sense behind it.
    - Secondly, I assume that "free will" and something like destiny cannot co-exist without interference.
I'd split destiny roughly into 3 types:

1) individual
The deeper meaning behind happenings are only meant to affect one individuum's life.
e.g.: Someone misses his train and because of that the meets the love of his life. So destiny takes care of every single one.

2) local
The sum of a limited number of events in a certain scope leads to something which was "meant to happen".
In this case, destiny does NOT care about the individual, but makes sure that the result of a combination of actions serve some purpose.

3) global
Things happening are not meant to make sense for an individual or in a local context, but they serve a "higher purpose" which results of the sum of all actions in the whole system.
^rooker
Site Admin

Destiny - continued.

Post by ^rooker »

Now, from a logical point of view, I doubt that those 3 types can co-exist with each other, since:

- If destiny should work out for every single person, the destinies of interacting persons would inevitably collide.

- Destiny working on a limited scope would be inconsistent because of the same reason: destinies of overlapping/interacting scopes would collide.

- Global destiny would be logically consitent, but it would render the individual's sense ("Why am I?") completely useless.
^rooker
Site Admin

Why am I doing this...?

Post by ^rooker »

I'm not just trying to be smart here, but I'm trying to point out a philosophical problem I have when people tell me that there is a "higher force" which has a plan which we might not be able to understand... (e.g. "God")

...so I started thinking about:
"If that was true, would it comply with what I see around me - or not?"
^rooker
Site Admin

even worse...

Post by ^rooker »

Even if there was interference by someone/something on a higher level, and this 'higher-whatsoever' would be fine with overlapping destinies, as long as it was able to finish some sort of plan for an individual, there'd be one more (sad) conclusion:

- some people's life may suffer from someone else's destiny.

...but this means that some people's life is worth less than that of others. :?