Adventures in depression

More or less famous quotes or funny stuff, said by the "Das Werkstatt" people or guests...
^rooker
Site Admin

Adventures in depression

Post by ^rooker »

Recently I read the Credits of "Clementine", currently probably the most awesome music player there is.

It contained links to a blog called "Hyperbole and a Half".

The recent 2 posts are probably the most comprehensible description of a depression I've ever seen or heard of:
Adventures in Depression
Depression Part Two

I think it's a must-read for anyone who's dealing with people that feel that way.
In my opinion, the part about the dead fish hits the bullseye:
B: What's wrong?
A: My fish are dead.
B: Don't worry! I'll help you find them! Are there any clues where they went?
A: I know where they are... The problem is they aren't alive anymore.
B: Let's keep looking! I'm sure they'll turn up somewhere!
A: NO, see, that solution is for a different problem than the one I have.
Friends and others:
"Fish are always deades before the dawn"
"You used to have so many fish... what happened?"
"Have you tried feeding them?"
"We should get together this weekend and make fun little finger puppets out of them!"
"What about bees? Do you like bees?"
"Why not just make them alive again?"

A: WHY CAN'T ANYONE SEE HOW DEAD THESE ARE??
You might want to keep this in mind, next time you talk to someone who's got a depression.
Think twice before you try to help them saying something like:
"You should do yoga while watching the sunrise. It's literally impossible to feel negative and sad while appreciating the wonder of the universe."
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
^rooker
Site Admin

Re: Adventures in depression

Post by ^rooker »

More quotes from "Adventures in Depression":
Standing around feeling sorry for myself was momentarily exhilarating, but I grew tired of it quickly. "That will do," I thought. "I've had my fun, let's move on to something else now." But the sadness didn't go away.

I tried to force myself to not be sad.

But trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back. A fundamental component of the plan is missing and it isn't going to work.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!