Don't tell me Windows ain't complicated

Whatever pisses you off. Whatever you want to yell out to the world. POST IT HERE, DARNIT!

Moderator: poppycat

^rooker
Site Admin

Don't tell me Windows ain't complicated

Post by ^rooker »

Don't tell me Windows ain't complicated - or that "it just works".

Now Vista can't even handle regular DHCP, whereas every other computer on the same network (different Linux distros, Macs, XP, 2k...) get their IPs as they should.

It's because:
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

It's sooo typical - and they even admit it: "or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers".
WTF? I wonder which computers would work if I had a Microsoft DHCP server running :shock: . Probably inverting my current scenario: Nothing works, anymore except for Vista. Interesting business model.

The great thing about the above article is, that they give you a step-by-step advice how to solve that stupid problem:
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
Now, funny thing is: I've had to look up how to find the GUID for a network adapter, and I stumbled across a forum entry:
How to Determine Adapter GUID. I couldn't help laughing when the first few lines read, that he was trying to follow MS knowledge-base article #928233, which is the above mentioned article. :)