Vendors "hiding" support for non-Microsoft operating systems

Whatever pisses you off. Whatever you want to yell out to the world. POST IT HERE, DARNIT!

Moderator: poppycat

^rooker
Site Admin

Vendors "hiding" support for non-Microsoft operating systems

Post by ^rooker »

Today, I was searching for the network driver for a DH57JG Intel chipset. I *know* that there's a Linux driver, so I went to the intel website. Going the official, regular path of searching for a driver on their website, I finally arrived at this page:

Download Center for DH57JG

Funny, but the only OS listed there are different flavors of one operating system by one company. Guess which one?
...and additionally, all 28 articles matching the chipset exclusively mention *that one* operating system as well - and nothing else.

Well, I'm used to that, but as mentioned before, I *knew* that they offer Linux drivers, so I googled for
"dh57jg linux"
Ok, now it gets really funny. The first search result hit was this one:

Intel® Desktop Board DH57JG --- Linux* installation on DH57JG

Fine, but why are they not showing non-MS operating systems in their list of supported systems? Someone who found their drivers download page, would simply think that they're *only* supporting Windows.

*sigh*
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
^rooker
Site Admin

Re: Vendors "hiding" support for non-micro$oft operating systems

Post by ^rooker »

UPDATE:
It seems that the mainboard, although containing several things like the network chipset for instance, is *not* the place, Intel expects you to be looking for such drivers.

If you want drivers for e.g the onboard network chipset "82578DC", you'd better look somewhere else, like the Download Center for Ethernet Controllers.

No. just kidding. :)
Even if they do list non-MS operating systems there (RedHat and SuSE), they're *not* providing links to drivers you might need.

That's what another page seems to be for:
Network Adapter Driver for PCI-E Gigabit Network Connections under Linux*
Sounds good... at least it links a .tar.gz archive - so it might actually be useful...

I have no idea how to find that page the "easy" or "official" way, because I found it thanks to a link in a Debian forum.

Intel's website is a greater mess and chaos than my room.... :)
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
Pingu
Absolute Beginner

Re: Vendors "hiding" support for non-micro$oft operating systems

Post by Pingu »

What is even worse is trying to find new drivers for say your integrated graphic card from your vendor. Go to nvidia/ati and they turn you back to the vendor. Which means hacked drivers... sigh...