"But it's easier!"

Whatever pisses you off. Whatever you want to yell out to the world. POST IT HERE, DARNIT!

Moderator: poppycat

^rooker
Site Admin

"But it's easier!"

Post by ^rooker »

When dealing with IT stuff, I've heard this phrase a million times as an answer to my question:
"Why are you doing this like that?".
Unfortunately, the easiest way often comes with drawbacks. The world would be a super-duper-happy-place, if it was that easy and comfortable things are also the good way of doing it. Sometimes that's the case - but often not.
When explaining to people why they should rather do some tasks differently, they often immediately reply with:
"How was I supposed to know? Noone told me that."
Followed by:
"...and if it's possible, why shouldn't it be ok?"
Well... that's the reason why I decided to write about it.

If you're on the "admin-side", which has to deal with the consequences of their actions, you might sit here, nod your head and maybe wipe some small tears escaping your eyes, and think: "Yeah. It's about time that someone stood up!"

...but if you're one of those who feel that those mean, grumpy and oh-so-clever smart-asses who're good with computers, always point their finger at you and tell you that you're doing it wrong and blablabla - please take some time and read this. There are so many tech-related things in your life, that it actually is about time that you get to know your environment a little better.

Take email-attachments, for example:
People use to email everything. EVERYTHING! Regardless of filetype, size or anything. Just drag-n-drop, click to send - and "binnnggg!" it's done.
It's sooo easy.

Unfortunately, I've seen cases where people tried to email complete DVDs, a whole night of videos/pictures taken on their smartphones - and a classic: Tons of MP3s.
Now, even though that sometimes works, I still think it's not good to send attachments which are larger than ~50 megabytes in total.
Why? If it works, it should be fine, right?
There are several reasons for this.

First, let me start trying to explain why I think this ain't good, by giving you a real-world metaphor:

Imagine, you could just flush everything (yes! EVERYTHING!) down your toilet. How cool is that?
No more worries about full trash cans, waiting to be taken out.
No more worries about separating glass/metal/whatnot from each other.
Just pour it into your toilet and hit the flush! Mmmmhm... fantastic!

Why isn't that regular for people to do so?
I mean, come ooooon: Trash cans are *so* old-school and ancient - almost antique. Those were the times before we had toilets, right?
And it's so easy and comfortable. And cleaner, too! ;)

The first thing that could come to one's mind is:

Code: Select all

"But no! The toilet might clog up, causing a nasty mess to fix"
Well yeah, but:
"Couldn't they just build toilet pipes that are wide enough to handle this?"
And, although theoretically technically possible, it's still not being done. For good reasons.

In the computer world, in fact, this is what users are asking admins and service providers to do:
"Hey! I need to send several tons of gigabytes per email every day. Make it work!"
Or more generic:
"Hey! I want to do something somehow. Make it work!"
Of course, it makes sense for the ones able to build things, to try to make it work as fine, easy and comfortable as possible for those using it (remember: even the techies are users, too). In some cases, however, there are things to consider - and reasons for not doing so.

Let's go back to my example:

Parents are telling their kids:
"Don't flush stuff down the toilet. That's not good."
Now, with computerstuff, the parent's aren't doing this anymore. Why?
Often, because they don't know themselves.

In some cases, teachers are the ones that jump in, because parents can't know everything - but with computers?
They don't know themselves.

So, currently there's often noone to tell you how to use the things you're surrounded by. So, naturally, you apply trial-and-error, right?
"Hey, let's click here and see what happens! Oh, great! Seems like it worked. Somehow."
Unfortunately, I might want to quote Skunk Anansie's lyrics here:
"Just because it feels good, doesn't make it right..."
What a cruel world.

If someone is telling you about Do's and Dont's, it's important in which social position that person is in relation to you.
Take any profession that comes to your mind:
You might assume, that a gardener knows more about plants and gardens than a doctor - but that one, on the other hand, knows more about medicine, than the gardener. And so on and so on. I hope you're getting my point.

Now, why is it, that if someone who has spent decades fiddling around with all kinds of technical stuff, computers, programs, data-protocols, and other stuff - and has seen things you can't even imagine - is not expected to be qualified to tell users about Do's and Dont's?

The answer's probably easy:
"THEY ARE NERDS! They're not real people. They do weird stuff in a weird way, and whatever they do, it's definitely complicated bla and ..."
Have you ever talked to an experienced musician?
Have you ever heard two of them talk to each other about a piece of music?
There are a lot of blabla-difficult-word-blabla parts in their conversation.
Yet, most normal people who are not necessarily musicians, value their expertise, as this is the reason why they are able to master their instruments and produce beautiful songs, coloring our lives!

If you would approach an instrument, applying the same trial-and-error techniques you're using with electronic equipment, a musician would probably have a hard time watching you doing it - and in case, you're planning to use that instrument more often, say something like:
"Please: You might not want to do this like that, but rather try this..."
Wouldn't you be happy that someone who knows more, is sharing their experience with you?
Or would you feel patronized that someone is criticizing you?

If you've taught yourself playing an instrument, you're very likely not caring about which finger you use to play which note in a sequence.
Now, if a skilled musician would see this, he/she would tell you about "fingering". Fingering is the choice of which fingers and hand positions to use when playing certain musical instruments - and there's a reason for it.
It's not that they're expecting you to become a full-time musician, but at least they're trying to provide you with knowledge which improves your way of interacting with the instrument. This in turn makes it more fun for you to use it.

Back to electronics and computers:
If I see how people are interacting with the devices they're using on an everyday basis, it comes naturally, that there are situations, where a different way of doing it would be better.
Users are often getting the feeling that one is questioning their skills, taking away their self-taught abilities - putting them in an uncomfortable situation.

I understand that.

Remember, when you had to learn reading and writing?
Was it fun at the beginning?
Did you learn that in order to become a professional writer?
Probably not.

Imagine the awkwardness, helplessness and feeling of dependence you'd have every time "text" appears in your life.
Asking someone to read it for you, or help you to write something, would make you feel disabled, weak and low.

I remember that I've been screaming, crying - and even biting my grandma - in order to avoid having to learn writing letters.
I'm glad she kept her nerves and kept on teaching me.

As technical things appear more and more often in our everyday environment, they're becoming standard - and people are somehow forced to deal with it.
Why is it, that offering knowledge and experience how to improve your way of interacting with these devices, is being barked at - evading it, kicking and screaming?

If someone is trying to enhance your know-how about these things, thing about learning to read and write: You're not doing so, because you're supposed to become an author, but because it empowers you to live in, and interact with a world, where you are surrounded by written words.

The more you know about these things, the easier it is for you to handle them.
The more you know about these things, the less you're at the mercy of someone else.
The more you know about these things, the more control you have over your actions.

Please: Think about it.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!