"Anti-Spam" whatsoever

Whatever pisses you off. Whatever you want to yell out to the world. POST IT HERE, DARNIT!

Moderator: poppycat

^rooker
Site Admin

"Anti-Spam" whatsoever

Post by ^rooker »

First of all: I don't like Spam.

...but I also don't like the counter-measures, because it's just fighting the symptoms and they're more likely to cause harm than to do good.
(I've already experienced several problems caused by spamfilters)

If the spam-mails would contain information I want to receive, I wouldn't consider it spam, right? So for some strange reason, most of the world agrees that the contents of mails considered as spam are useless for them, but the idea behind spam still works.

I say: if noone would fall for those stupid mails, the sending of spam would stop all by itself. - If there's no money to make, why should someone care to annoy people?

Educate the people instead of filtering away the whole web.

---------------------------------------
But currently things are going exactly the other way: If I turn on my TV I see a hundred shows which tell me that I'm supposed to get rich. Or at least get something which has a monetary value - and lots of it!

Additionally, what I'm learning by taking a look at the rest of the world is: If you're rich, nobody cares how you did it. really.
You could be the greatest asshole in the world, but people would still admire you, because you have 20 cars and a butler for your dog.

On the other hand, you might be the nicest person in the world: loving, sharing, helping, caring... - if this doesn't show up on your paycheck, you will be a loser in the eyes of most others.

And in the current system it WON'T show up on your paycheck, because things like honesty, compassion, frankness are not the right qualities for becoming a financially successful person... - just watch CNN or MTV and you'll get a feeling of what values are considered "essential".

Ain't something going really wrong here?

As long as this system of values is at work, "Spam" is probably the most harmless result of it.