Repairing Samsung YP-U2R MP3/Ogg Player

Step-by-Step descriptions of how to do things.
^rooker
Site Admin

Repairing Samsung YP-U2R MP3/Ogg Player

Post by ^rooker »

A friend of mine gave me his samsung MP3 player, because he considered it broken. It was indeed behaving incredibly strange. The symptoms were:

1) After turning it on, it said "system-loading" and always turned itself off when it reached 20%
2) When I tried connecting it to my computer (using USB), the "USB connect" icon on the display was flashing, and I saw in dmesg output that it continously tried to re-connect/disconnect itself.
3) After a clean format, it always displayed "disconnected / charging" and would not show up as mass storage device.

[SOLUTIONS]
1) It seems to have puked due to some file system problems. Solved by formatting.
2) This was caused by my USB ports not emitting enough power. I had to plug an active USB hub in between, so the battery could recharge itself from the USB port.
3) Super strange, but I had to use amarok, manually add a "MTP device" and connect once. Suddenly my system popped up the "new device found" dialog.
EDIT: It didn't have anything to do with MTP, but with my faulty USB hub. Just execute "lsusb" once to bump the device. See forum post #1753 for details.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!