Playback FFv1 on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Step-by-Step descriptions of how to do things.
^rooker
Site Admin

Playback FFv1 on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Post by ^rooker »

I was extremely amazed how easy it was to playback files encoded with the FFv1 lossless video codec on a Samsung tablet: "Galaxy Tab 10.1"

Here's how to do it:

1) Install a proper video player
for example:
MX Video Player

2) Install a codec package
MX Video Player Codec (ARMv7)
Thanks to the widespreadness of FFmpeg's libraries (libav, etc), this off-the-shelf codec package contains code for playing FFv1.

That's it.

Why should someone want to do this?
Well, the combination of FFv1 for video and PCM for audio is a perfectly suitable solution for long-term video archiving.

Imagine: Being able to playback *the real* archive copy! Try this with MXF/JPEG2000... ;)
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
^rooker
Site Admin

Playback FFv1 on Samsung Galaxy S I 9000 smartphone

Post by ^rooker »

...btw: On a Samung Galaxy S I9000, you can apply exactly the same procedure as above in order to play FFv1 videos.

Unfortunately, they *do* playback, but as I expected, the computing power is yet slightly insufficient, and therefore it stutters :(
However: you're still able to preview the video at all!

Again: Try this with MXF/JPEG2000... ;)
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!