Xubuntu 12.02: Multi-screen setup DVI + VGA

Step-by-Step descriptions of how to do things.
^rooker
Site Admin

Xubuntu 12.02: Multi-screen setup DVI + VGA

Post by ^rooker »

I'm running a setup with a 16:9 main screen (1920x1080) and an old 4:3 VGA (1280x1024).
One left, one right.

The screens have slightly different heights, including a different foot-size length, so I need a slight vertical offset in order for them to behave as seamless as possible.

This entry is less of a HowTo, but I wanted to write it, so others may solve similar situations more easily/quickly - and also for me to have some place to store the xrandr parameters for me to lookup in case I lose them :)

Configure screen layout:

Thanks to Christian Amsüss ("Chrysn") there's "ARandR": A simple GUI frontend for "XRandR" for quickly and conveniently arranging multi-screen setups. The configuration is stored as readily executable shell script, calling xrandr with the right commandline arguments.

Just arrange the screens in ARandR to fit your needs, apply changes to see if you're happy - and then save the screen layout.
In my case, the produced shell script looks like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 1920x160 --rotate normal --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DVI-I-0 --off --output HDMI-0 --off
Reboot-safe:
NOTE: The screen layout lasts only until you reboot, because there is no system configuration changed. You need to execute the xrandr call (=the shell script produced by ARandR) after boot. The screen layouts are usually stored in ~/.screenlayout.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!