HP PSC 1315: Cups, Sane & HPLIP

Step-by-Step descriptions of how to do things.
^rooker
Site Admin

HP PSC 1315: Cups, Sane & HPLIP

Post by ^rooker »

I'm currently trying to get a HP PSC 1315 printer-scanner combi to work with kernel 2.6. Of course I want it the hard way, because I'm doing this on LFS.

[1) Scanner]
Requirements:
  • libusb
    hplip
    sane
Tips & Hints
1) HPLIP comes with its own sane-backend, called "hpaio", but when installing hplip with a different --prefix option, those libraries (libsane-hp*) will not be visible to SANE.
Solution: Make sure that those libraries reside (symlinked?) in SANE's lib directory (e.g.: /usr/lib/sane)

2) SANE does not know that hpaio exists - so add the line "hpaio" to /etc/sane/dll.conf.
(don't be confused by the part about "HPOJ" - as far as I've found out, hpoj is deprecated and hplip's hplip is preferred)

3) To debug "scanimage -L", set the environment variable SANE_DEBUG_DLL to a high debug level:

Code: Select all

export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128
and re-execute "scanimage -L" - now you should get infos about what went wrong.

4) When using libusb, you do NOT need to activate any USB-scanner support in your kernel. It seems that USB-scanner kernel support has been removed from 2.6.x (I'm using 2.6.14) anyway.
I've wasted hours trying to find that option, because most docs and howto's say to "modprobe scanner".
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Scanner-HOWTO/int ... tml#LIBUSB

5) "scanimage" exits with:
scanimage: open of device hpaio:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=MY47JBC0BSO2 failed: Error during device I/O
Solution: Stop HPLIP(hpiod, hpssd), Unload all modules (usblp, uhci_hcd), unplug and re-connect the PSC1315, reload all modules - and try again.

[Finally...]
Here's what a successful output of "scanimage -L" should look like with the PSC 1315:
scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 128.
[dll] sane_init: SANE dll backend version 1.0.11 from sane-backends 1.0.17
[dll] sane_init: reading dll.conf
[dll] add_backend: adding backend `net'
[dll] add_backend: adding backend `hpaio'
[dll] sane_get_devices
[dll] load: searching backend `hpaio' in `/apps/sane/lib/sane'
[dll] load: trying to load `/apps/sane/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1'
[dll] load: dlopen()ing `/apps/sane/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1'
[dll] init: initializing backend `hpaio'
[dll] init: backend `hpaio' is version 1.0.6
[dll] load: searching backend `net' in `/apps/sane/lib/sane'
[dll] load: trying to load `/apps/sane/lib/sane/libsane-net.so.1'
[dll] load: dlopen()ing `/apps/sane/lib/sane/libsane-net.so.1'
[dll] init: initializing backend `net'
[dll] init: backend `net' is version 1.0.17
[dll] sane_get_devices: found 1 devices
device `hpaio:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=MY47JBC0BSO2' is a hp psc_1310_series multi-function peripheral
[dll] sane_exit: exiting
[dll] sane_exit: calling backend `hpaio's exit function
[dll] sane_exit: calling backend `net's exit function
[dll] sane_exit: finished
^rooker
Site Admin

Error during device I/O

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
I tried to scan with an "Epson Perfection 1640SU", (using Knoppix (!!!) :shock: ). "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L" returned proper results, but after issuing:

Code: Select all

scanimage --format=tiff --source="Automatic Document Feeder"
I received this error:
scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
although the scanner was nicely reading the paper from the automatic document feeder, it halted at some point and exited with this error - Same from XSane.

[SOLUTION]
I've just unpowered the scanner, turned it back on, waited a while (2 minutes) - and tried again. voila. it worked.