[Win 7] (uPNP) Notebook standby stops uPNP Media player

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
gilthanaz
Site Admin

[Win 7] (uPNP) Notebook standby stops uPNP Media player

Post by gilthanaz »

[Problem]
In our setup i have a ASUS uPNP media player that is attached to a sub router on the network, which happens to also be the WLAN router. Every time i closed my notebook running Win7, the Asus box stopped playback and threw me into main menu, even tho the two devices do not have anything in common for playback (playback server is a totally different machine).

So... why the hell is putting a notebook in stand-by interrupting the movie playback on a stand-alone uPNP player?

[Solution
]
The notebook ran Win7 which by default shares media to the network using uPNP. Every time the notebook was shut down or going into stand-by, this service would broadcast something that fucks with the uPNP media devices on the same subnet. Sooo what to do? As the notebook never was used as mediaserver anyway, there is no need to have the service for that running - so disable the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"; put it to manual start-up and then stop the service so it won't come up on next reboot again. Only start it if you really need it. Problem solved.
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Re: [Win 7] (uPNP) Notebook standby stops uPNP Media player

Post by gilthanaz »

HAHA! If it would have been so simple! It worked once, and after the next wake-up from sleep mode, the notebook again killed the media player when it was closed (=> sleep mode) again. But why? HOW? I disabled the service!

Well, some companies are smarter than you. Really! They know better what you want than you know. And you want your Win7 machine to be a media player. No matter what. Service disabled? Dont care! Its still running every fscking time the machine comes up after a reboot, hibernation, sleep or stand-by. No, its not started in the procedures you can modify using msconfig.exe either. It is a damn greek mythology hydra, it keeps growing back!

What. The. Fuck.

[Real Solution]

Whatever you do, we're not to be held responsible. Its on your own risk, as always. Just sayin'.

(A) The I HATE YOU DIE DIE DIE Method
Search the binary for that service: wmpnscfg.exe
Kill the User rights. Change the owner to you account. Remove rights so it can't start anymore. Or rename the damn exe file. KILL IT WITH FIRE because i swear to god every time you turn around its risen from the ashes and fucks with the media player again. This thing comes from the depths of hell. Disruption of my entertaining services is something i do not take very lightly.

(B) Slightly cleaner but less hate Method
Start Windows Media Player and disable ALL options that have to do with network. Especially everything that has to do with the "media library" and "media sharing". I'd tell exactly what you have to disable, but its different between WMP versions.