Linux: nvidia driver update - API mismatch

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

Linux: nvidia driver update - API mismatch

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
I wanted to update by nvidia Xorg driver. Usually that always worked without any problems.
Usually. :?

xserver now fails to start, complaining about an nvidia API mismatch:
(Quote missing)

Okay, so I updated my kernel (just to make sure).
Well, that also didn't work.

Then, I checked the versions using "dpkg -l":

Code: Select all

$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
Which pointed out that "nvidia-current-updates" still contained the older version.

Well, so I thought I'd update that package, too.
That returned an uncomfortable error message:
Unpacking nvidia-settings (from .../nvidia-settings_331.20-0ubuntu0.0.1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-settings_331.20-0ubuntu0.0.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-settings.1.gz', which is also in package nvidia-settings-updates 304.43-0ubuntu0.2
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
I checked the library versions again with "dpkg -l".
Output is as follows:
ii nvidia-304 304.125-0ubuntu0.0.0.1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
iU nvidia-304-updates 304.125-0ubuntu0.0.0.1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.44.2 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
iU nvidia-current-updates 304.125-0ubuntu0.0.0.1 Transitional package for nvidia-current-updates
iU nvidia-settings-updates 331.20-0ubuntu0.0.1 Transitional package for nvidia-settings
Except for "nvidia-settings-updates", the version numbers look matching now.

To be continued...
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!