Lenovo S21e: How to enter the BIOS

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

Lenovo S21e: How to enter the BIOS

Post by ^rooker »

Actually, this article shouldn't even exist - if manuals for new notebooks would actually contain the basic information of "how to enter the BIOS on this computer".
Well, the German Lenovo S21e user manual actually mentions "press the Novo-key".

Well... I can't find anything that makes the description of a Novo-key (which I had to look up on the Internet, because the manual won't tell you where it is, either).

Long story short:
It's "F2".

This means, hold "Fn + F2 (=loudspeaker minus)" immediately after powering on.

Just cost me 40 minutes of my life.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
^rooker
Site Admin

Lenovo S21e: How to boot Linux from USB

Post by ^rooker »

The s21e drives me crazy. We've had a lot of fun together, but now I finally write down how to make it boot a Linux installer from a USB stick.

First of all:
By default it's "Fn + F2", but I immediately disable the Fn-Default back to normal F-Keys.
If go set "Configuration > HotKey Mode = Disabled", It becomes "F2". Makes sense.

But it confused me. What was bad about ESC for BIOS?
Politically incorrect?

Set the following in your BIOS to boot from non-UEFI USB:
* Boot mode: [Legacy Support]
* Boot Priority: [Legacy First]
* USB Boot: [Enabled]
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!