Xubuntu 14.04: Unable to install virtualbox-guest-x11

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

Xubuntu 14.04: Unable to install virtualbox-guest-x11

Post by ^rooker »

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
virtualbox-guest-x11 : Depends: xorg-video-abi-15
Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.14.99.902)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Running the installer for VirtualBox' guest additions (from VirtualBox guest additions ISO), throws this error:
Installing the Window System drivers
Warning: unknown version of the X Window System installed. Not installing X Window System drivers.
To be continued...

Related links:
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
^rooker
Site Admin

Re: Xubuntu 14.04: Unable to install virtualbox-guest-x11

Post by ^rooker »

I'm suspecting that my Virtualbox version on the host is too old, so it doesn't know how to handle the X11 version of the 14.04 on the VM-client.
Therefore, I'm currently upgrading to Virtualbox v5 - from offical Oracle's repositories:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

UPDATE:
SOLVED! That did the trick. Upgraded Virtualbox to v5 (on Xubuntu 12.04, precise), then re-ran the virtualbox-guest-additions "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" as root.
Rebooted the VM-client (14.04), and now the screen resolution can be changed properly :)
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!