ntpdate: "no server suitable for synchronization found"

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

ntpdate: "no server suitable for synchronization found"

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
I've been using "ntpdate" in the past successfully to synchronize GNU/Linux (mostly Debian-based) machines to an internal NTPd timeserver.

This time I got the following error message:
ntpdate[9747]: no server suitable for synchronization found
Although the ntpd was running and listening correctly on the network interfaces.
I've verified that using "nmap":

Code: Select all

$ nmap -v -sU -p 123 time.myinternal-ntpd-timeserver.example
Returned:
PORT STATE SERVICE
123/udp open|filtered ntp

[SOLUTION]
Running "ntpdate" in debug mode revealed the following message:
192.168.xxx.xxx: Server dropped: strata too high
The problem was, that my ntpd timeserver could not connect to external higher-stratum timeservers, due to changes in the firewall now blocking UDP port 123.
This causes the clients to "lose trust" in my internal ntpd-server :(

Therefore: Make sure your internal ntpd-timeserver can correctly connect and synchronize to external servers!

Links:
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!
^rooker
Site Admin

Re: ntpd offline "orphan mode"

Post by ^rooker »

In case you want to configure a LAN-internal NTPd timeserver that stays trusted, even though it hasn't been able to sync to a low-stratum server for a while, you can probably use "orphan mode" for this.
See: http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/OrphanMode

Add the following line to "/etc/ntp.conf" on clients:

Code: Select all

tos orphan N
Where "N" is the stratum level after which the clients switch to orphan-mode and accept a low-stratum server as clock source.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!