"Groove - Virtual Office" Problems

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

"Groove - Virtual Office" Problems

Post by ^rooker »

First of all:

I don't like Groove. It is a tool which is not necessary at all, because its useful functionality could be replaced by a forum, an instant messenger and a file replication.
And I bet this would work with less RAM, be faster and be easier to get things up and running again after a crash.

...so let's continue with fun-things I've encountered while using Groove:

Groove refuses to import account backup file (.grv), claiming that it is "too old"

[PROBLEM]
My windows died and I had to re-install Groove. Clever me, I had backup'd my account before as a '.grv' file (because my co-workers never did and so they've created a new account on every windows-reinstall - which is why we currently have ~50 zombie users which cannot be deleted :evil: )

But: The Groove installer (v3.3) refused to import my account file, claiming that it was too old. Now what the hell?

OK... This didn't scare me, since I had the whole (old - v3.2) Groove installation still at hand, but guess what: There's NO WAY to import from that. great, huh?

So I tried to install a blank new Groove and simply copy my old datafiles over the new (empty) ones. Of course it did NOT work...

[SOLUTION]
...but when uninstalling Groove, it asks if you want to keep your existing account data - Say "YES".

Since I've copied my old data over the new files, it simply left them there as if they were fine.

Now when installing Groove again, it recognizes that it once was installed and happily imports my old data. whoopeee!

[SUMMARY]
...Why have it the easy way, if you can have Groove?