Burp: "Could not find ssl_cert x No such file or directory"

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

Burp: "Could not find ssl_cert x No such file or directory"

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
Setting up a new Burp backup server/client scenario.
I ran into the following error when I tried to connect a client to get a list (or any other 'burp action'):

Code: Select all

$ burp -a l
"Could not find ssl_cert /etc/burp/ssl_cert-client.pem: No such file or directory"
Although client connection has successfully worked before I've changed the config (see below).
I even performed a successful backup.

Before changing the hostname...

[SOLUTION]
I've changed the client's hostname (cname) from "testclient" to the real hostname (in /etc/burp/burp.conf). Now the client didn't have its representation file in "/etc/burp/clientconfdir".
The previous connection only worked, because "testclient" has a pre-configured file in clientconfdir - that comes from the .deb package (repository).

See "Adding a new client" in the Burp Documentation.
After you've added a new client (and it's file in clientconfdir), clear the /etc/burp folder.
Run the following (as root - or using "sudo"):

Code: Select all

rm /etc/burp/ssl*
rm -r /etc/burp/CA
rm -r /etc/burp/CA-client
mkdir /etc/burp/CA-client
Now, when connecting the client again (now for "the first time" again), the SSL certificates should automatically be re-generated.
This only works in version >v2.0.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!