Debian 9 & Elasticsearch 1.7.5

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
peter_b
Chatterbox

Debian 9 & Elasticsearch 1.7.5

Post by peter_b »

[PROBLEM]
In order to install AtoM, I needed to install an older version of Elasticsearch (that doesn't seem to be in their repos anymore).
Anyways, I need ES v1.7 - so I simply added the main repositories for "sid" (unstable): It contains ES v1.7.5-1 :)

Tried starting ES service:

Code: Select all

$ sudo systemctl start elasticsearch
Didn't work:

● elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-01-11 21:58:07 CET; 39ms ago
     Docs: http://www.elastic.co
  Process: 11714 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-systemd-pre-exec (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Jän 11 21:58:07 debian9 systemd[1]: Starting Elasticsearch...
Jän 11 21:58:07 debian9 systemd[11714]: elasticsearch.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-systemd-pre-exec: No such file or directory
Jän 11 21:58:07 debian9 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=203
Jän 11 21:58:07 debian9 systemd[1]: Failed to start Elasticsearch.
Jän 11 21:58:07 debian9 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jän 11 21:58:07 debian9 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
I've had different versions of ES installed previously, and therefore the systemd service file didn't match (was a leftover):
/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service
So I removed ES with "--purge":
$ apt-get remove --purge elasticsearch
And then re-installed it:

$ sudo apt-get install elasticsearch=1.7.5-1
Still not working...