CUPS: network printer not responding

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

CUPS: network printer not responding

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
Running an RPi as printer server for years now, but today it suddenly (*) decided not to receive any documents anymore :shock:
(*) Tried to print 3 different PDFs. 2 came out - and after that: the local print-queue (on client) piled up, while the CUPS server queue stayed empty.
Strange...

[SOLUTION]
I don't know why, but for some (yet unknown) reason, my DNS (bind9) decided to resolve the printer server's ".local" name to a 169.254.222.xx address. I know those are ad-hoc IPs if no DHCP is present, but no clue why it suddenly resolved to this, instead of the server's actual IP :?

I restarted the DNS server (running on the same Raspberry as CUPS):
$ sudo service bind9 restart
Now the printer server name resolved correctly again, and printing worked. again.

Hmpf.
Not a big fan of auto-configuration in situations where it just should NOT happen, because there is nothing to auto-configure...
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!