XFCE: Unable to find or create trash directory

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

XFCE: Unable to find or create trash directory

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
Fresh install of Xubuntu Xenial (16.04.3 LTS), but with an external harddisk that was previously formatted, used - and is still filled with data - I get the following error, whenever I try to simply hit the "delete" button (=move a file to the trash/wastebasket):
Unable to find or create trash directory
[SOLUTION]
I couldn't find any proper documentation or method to properly initialize the ".Trash-$UID" directory.
($UID just stands for the UID of the user you're working with. Usually, if you're the first (and maybe only) user on a desktop installation, it's probably: 1000)
Everything I found was just postings where people manually fixed the access rights, ownership of that folder - or manually created it.

On my system, the folder was there, and I gave it 777 permissions (just to check). Didn't work.
Basically, make sure your user owns it, and the permissions are "rwx------":
  • chmod 700 .Trash-1000
  • chown $USERNAME:$GROUP .Trash-1000
"gvfs-trash" is happy now (and uses the trash folder properly), but Thunar requires to logout/back in before it works :)
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!