MPD: "Failed to decode..."

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....

MPD: "Failed to decode..."

Postby peter_b » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:46 pm

[PROBLEM]
Suddenly a well functioning MPD (on Raspbian Jessie 9.1, Raspberry Pi v1) didn't play songs anymore. Playlists could be loaded, library searched - but no audio output.
Throughout this text here, "one_of_my_songs.mp3" is a placeholder-filename of the actual song it tried to play.

On MALP (Android) there was no error message.
You could switch songs in the playlist, change volume, anything - but: no audio output and the play position would not change.

On GMPC (Linux) at least I got an error message:
MPD Reported the following error: 'Failed to decode one_of_my_songs.mp3'



[SOLUTION]
The affected songs were on a mounted network share (CIFS/SMB) which simply wasn't mounted anymore since reboot. :oops:

Reading "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log" helped to figure this out:
errno: Failed to open "/var/lib/mpd/music/one_of_my_songs.mp3": No such file or directory


Followed again, by a more cryptic message - but for the same audiofile:
mpg123: libmpg123 failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/one_of_my_songs.mp3: A generic mpg123 error.


Just check if the audiofiles are accessible by MPD when this happens :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
peter_b
Chatterbox
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:05 am
Reputation: 3

Return to Knowledge Base

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online over last 24 hours

Users browsed this forum in the last 24 hours: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 31 guests

cron
Reputation System ©'