XFCE: Lockscreen has low resolution

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

XFCE: Lockscreen has low resolution

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
Fresh installation of Xubuntu 18.04.4, GFX card Nvidia GF119/GT520 - Dual screen setup with 2 very different monitors.

Everything works fine, screen resolution and offset as it should, BUT:
The lock screen looks weird, because it has a quite low and possibly 4:3 resolution (on 16:9 monitors).

When you log back in: Everything's fine.
At least with 1 user.

[SOLUTION]
The workaround mentioned in Launchpad bug #1757202: "nvidia-driver-390 can only be used by one user at a time" seems to work!

I quote it here:
So, here is a workaround for this problem:

1. Create an xorg.conf file for your nVidia device. All you have to do for this is to launch the command:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

This will create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

2. Edit the created file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add at the end the lines:

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/xorg"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

3. Save and restart the X server. Now, for the first and second user you should have the nvidia driver in use, with the correct resolution and fast rendering. You can check it using the command:

glxgears -info |grep NVIDIA

NOTE: I've used the "nvidia-settings" tool to generate my xorg.conf, because it seemed to fill in my monitor details a bit better than nvidia-xconfig.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!