Partimage

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
tonmaus

Partimage

Post by tonmaus »

Chapter one...

searching for a tool to migrate my OS installations to another disk (including windows...) I stumbled over the partimage project. (www.partimage.org)
There, you get a source code image for installation, with compilation instructions.

Code: Select all

checking for BZ2_bzopen in -lbz2... no
configure: error: *** bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need
Issue: requires Libbz2 v1.0 or higher, that I was unable to install with apt-get. apt-get tells me that my version is current. So, end of compilation adventure

Alternative:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install partimage
:roll:

Now I have partimage commandline tool.

Chapter2 will maybe shed a little light how to use it...

Cheers,

Tonmaus
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Heh

Post by gilthanaz »

Very interesting! I personally do not have any experience with tools like that. Then again, we learned very early how to 'manually' move a installation ;)

Of course its better if theres a good tool for that, now.
tonmaus

Post by tonmaus »

Corrections:

Partimage is a semi-gui tool for simple use. Imaging a partition is self-explaining. I am afraid I have to add ntfs support now, and I also have to face to migrate my kubuntu either to investigate how to copy the /etc stuff, or how to use the rescue CD.

So, chapter2 will be about that...
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Hm

Post by gilthanaz »

Sounds even more interesting! Good that you did not choose the easy way (reinstall), but rather do it the hard way, and thus, give us a lot of information on topics we did not touch yet :)

Good luck, keep us up2date!
tonmaus

Post by tonmaus »

intermediate step: I am giving up for the moment for two reasons: Issues mounting various partintions of the external drives.
- issues with ext3 partition (?)
- issues with ntfs partitions (->ntfs-3g issues ->probably fuse version issues ->compiling fuse 2.6.3 doesn't work ->script doesn't laclise kernel headers path and advise I have found was cryptic to me)

When this is solved I can go on.

/Tonmaus