apcupsd: "connection with UPS lost" in pcnet mode

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

apcupsd: "connection with UPS lost" in pcnet mode

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
When configuring apcupsd to receive broadcast events from an APC AP-9617 (or similar) network module transmitting PowerChute events, it returns the errormessage
Communication with UPS lost"
after ~2 minutes.

I've checked the DEVICE line in the apcupsd.conf file several times and everything was correct:

Code: Select all

DEVICE ip:user:passphrase

[SOLUTION]
After running apcupsd in debug mode (apcupsd -d1000 -T), I had a trace file that contained the following errormessage (I've replaced subnet IP parts by an "x"):
10.813 apcupsd: ../drivers/pcnet/pcnet.c:458 process_packet: Expected IP=ups.das-werkstatt.com
10.813 apcupsd: ../drivers/pcnet/pcnet.c:459 process_packet: Received IP=192.168.x.x
So, although apcupsd can connect per name (ups.das-werkstatt.com), it only works properly when using the ip in the DEVICE option.
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!