About the big evil...

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
testuser
Chatterbox

About the big evil...

Post by testuser »

I think everyone should make a ritual sacrifice before booting a computer running windows ME.
Things like "Windows general protection fault. Please re-install Windows" might then be avoided...
The only thing I know is that I know nothing
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Heh.

Post by gilthanaz »

Windows ME is the biggest shit i've ever seen. Never before i experienced a OS which is as suicidal as ME - after 20 boots, it tends to just die. Repair function? HAHAHAHHAH!

Edit:
If you love to play and want a desktop system, i wouldn't tell you to get linux either, tho. Linux is for serving purposes, and thats where it should stay. For windows - For hardcore gamers i'd say either 98SE or Win 2000. Win 2000 is the most stable windows i've ever seen. In fact, if the box is set up good, it still doesnt need a single reboot in months (!). Even if the box is busy 18 hours a day and frequently used by multiple people. The prob with 2K is that many classic games don't work anymore. There is a little trick, for which i'll open a new thread - real knowledge, this time ;)

So, get W2k or 98SE if you want a windows system. NEVER, NEVER XP or ME. Never ever. Bad. Evil. No. Go away.
testuser
Chatterbox

Post by testuser »

Now now... What about XP?
I currently have the home version installed and it's the most stable stuff (by Microsoft of course) I've seen from them so far.
The shitty bit is of course that I don't own XP Pro and that some old games just won't run on XP but heh - "no more blue screen of death!!"
The only thing I know is that I know nothing
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Hehe.

Post by gilthanaz »

XP is crap, too. I've seen it dying way to often. I've seen tons of people having a million driver problems with old and new hardware. And i cant stand the uberhuge icons for the motorically uncontrolled. Overall, i think XP is an OS for mentally challenged people ;) Another joke by Microsoft.
^rooker
Site Admin

Riddle me this, riddle me that...

Post by ^rooker »

Well, I have not used XP extensively yet, but I've met several people who usually KNOW what they're doing (and saying) and they've told me that they consider XP more stable and comfortable than W2K.

Although I must mention, that they're using the Professional edition, because the Home edition is like a straight jacket for power users.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to avoid this upcoming OS in the future so I'll see for myself what it's like.
^rooker
Site Admin

...fineprint...

Post by ^rooker »

Now look what I found... I had to upgrade someone's PC and I wanted to use the windowsupdate stuff.
After checking which version of windowsupdate the system had, Microsoft told me that I had to update to a newer version in order to receive a lot of superduper new features!

There was a small, almost invisible, link labelled "Further Information" (YES. I checked the sourcecode. it was EXACTLY this color - on a white background)

That was the fineprint.

The list of things it wanted to install was listed after clicking on it - and the last entry was this:
Windows Genuine Advantage-Überprüfungstool (KB892130)
443 KB , 2 Minuten
Mit dem Windows Genuine Advantage-Überprüfungstool können Sie überprüfen, ob es sich bei Ihrer Microsoft Windows-Installation um eine Originalversion von Microsoft handelt. Das Tool überprüft dies anhand der Product ID von Windows und des Status der Produktaktivierung. Nach der Installation dieser Komponente müssen Sie den Computer gegebenenfalls neu starten. Das Tool kann nach der Installation nicht mehr entfernt werden.

I guess one can easily guess what that "Windows Genuine Advantage-Verification-tool" is about, but check out the last sentence:
"This tool cannot be removed after installation".

That's why I just loooooooove this company. It gives me a real warm feeling inside...