Non-electric cooling

...non-electric cooling, modding old computer chassis to fit a new ATX board, Experimental stuff.

Fite-Über-Mod
Ãœber-MOD

Non-electric cooling

Post by Fite-Über-Mod »

Nobody has an idea for this? At all?

The sickness is capitalism.

The cure is revolution.
testuser
Chatterbox

Post by testuser »

I'll take it that you're talking about computer components, mainly CPU cooling.

The easiest, cheapest form of non-electric cooling is a heat sink. You can get them for everything. CPUs, Ram, Video cards...

Another form of cooling is water-cooling. However, it does require a pump. There's a special cooler that you put over your CPU. It's made out of copper so it takes the heat in pretty good. If you live in ireland and don't have to pay for water supply, just connect it to a tap and let it run free.
There's one example: http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/me ... ex-o-Matic

Yet another, is a simple well-aired computer cased. Some ppl add fans, but they don't realise that they disturb the air-flow. A well-aired box is quite effective, and costs nothing.

Hope that helps
The only thing I know is that I know nothing
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Hm

Post by gilthanaz »

Yo,

actually ^Rooker wanted something mobile for his car, like for picknicks and stuff, afaik. He was working on a vacuum/zeolith cooling.

How that works? Well, you make vacuum in something which is partially filled with water. Water in a vacuum starts to boil at room temperature, and once it boils, you open a vent to another bottle (or something) which is filled with Zeolith. The steam will be absorbed by the zeolith in few milliseconds, and the temperature of the water will drop many degrees celsius. Then you make the vacuum again in the other bottle, and meanwhile dry the zeolith so it can absorb water again in the next turn.

Thats roughly how it works, tho i dont EXACTLY know how the Zeolith reacts.
Fite-Über-Mod
Ãœber-MOD

Mineral Oil

Post by Fite-Über-Mod »

You place the computer in a bathtub of mineral oil. Of course, the on/off switch might want to be placed outside, as you can't touch the computer. It will keep at like 24 degrees celsius at all times... and you can clock it : ) weee...

The sickness is capitalism.

The cure is revolution.
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Err...

Post by gilthanaz »

Mineral Oil? Didn't hear that one, so far. But again, the main idea wasn't for computer cooling. Tho, iam always open for that topic, too, since it has permanently like 40 °C down here (lots of computers blowing heat out in all directions..)
testuser
Chatterbox

Post by testuser »

During winter, you should link your computers' cooling systems to your central heating :D
Imagine all the money you'd save!!
The only thing I know is that I know nothing
gilthanaz
Site Admin

Heh.

Post by gilthanaz »

Actually, in winter the room temp only drops to about 25 °C. I dont waste much money on heating - the computers manage that quite good :P Guess its the mass of computers and monitors which produce so much heat that i barely ever have to power on the radiators and stuff. So i dont mind if some AMD cpu's blow out more heat, in fact i bet its cheaper to use the CPU's Wattage in warmth to heat the room ;)