Weird: wireless keyboard stutters when copying files

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

Weird: wireless keyboard stutters when copying files

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
I'm using the same keyboard (Logitech Y-RC14) for 17 years now.
Really good hardware!
Not a big fan of Logitech not providing Linux drivers for their newer hardware, but my keyboard's heavily been used - and never failed on me in all that time. Kudos.

Nevertheless, I'm noticing a very strange thing lately:
Whenever I copy files to/from my Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian) over the network, my keyboard starts to "stutter".
Just like it does when the batteries run low, but I've replaced them twice in a week now. (btw: I've only had to replace empty batteries on that keyboard like 5 times in almost 20 years!)

The problem persists only when I copy files. It works fine the rest of the time.

The keyboard-receiver is still a PS/2, but I'm now using it over a PS/2-to-USB converter. It seems like the copy process gets a higher I/O interrupt priority than my keyboard.
Since the system may only think of it as "yet another USB device", that might be something to look into... 8)

To be continued...
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!