pd-extended: dumpOSC: "couldn't create"

Linux howto's, compile information, information on whatever we learned on working with linux, MACOs and - of course - Products of the big evil....
^rooker
Site Admin

pd-extended: dumpOSC: "couldn't create"

Post by ^rooker »

[PROBLEM]
Running puredata extended (v0.40.3 or v0.39.3), I couldn't run any monome related patches, because the "dumpOSC" node couldn't be created - although the necessary file existed: /usr/lib/pd/extra/oscx/dumpOSC.pd_linux

pd threw the following error:
dumpOSC 8000
... couldn't create
And the dumpOSC node had a dashed outline (red in v0.40.3).

[SOLUTION]
dumpOSC acts as "non existing" node if the port it tries to bind to is already taken. I've found hints about this behavior on the puredata mailing lists.

Make sure it's really a port problem, e.g. by changing "dumpOSC 8000" to "dumpOSC 8123". If the node can be created properly, you must find out which program is already listening to the same port, by running "netstat":

Code: Select all

sudo netstat -antpuew | grep 8000
The "sudo" is important, because you won't see root apps without it. The number "8000" is the port used in my patch - replace it with the one that's colliding on your setup.

In my case it was icecast, listening on port 8000. :)
Jumping out of an airplane is not a basic instinct. Neither is breathing underwater. But put the two together and you're traveling through space!